Ms Frizzle Has Moved!!!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Rubrics

I found a blog entry on science and math rubrics this morning (link at bottom of page). While I like the descriptive nature of the rubrics, I tend to not like using number scales. I much prefer setting up a table with the descriptions across the top. 

For example, for a lab report, I might say "Student explained procedure in a clear and repeatable manner." There would be a column for each section of the report I am looking to assess. Along the left hand column would be my assessment milestones. "Goal not achieved and writing unclear," "Goal not achieved and writing clear," "Goal achieved and writing unclear," and "Goal achieved and writing clear" might be sample scoring if I were most concerned with my students writing clearly and achieving the goals I gave them in the assessment descriptions along the top of the rubric. 

It is always helpful for students to see a rubric before they're graded by one!

I like rubrics similar to THIS, but would have replaced the number categories with their descriptions to avoid using numbers since students can get hung up on what number they got and whether or not that's an 'A'. This way you are using more constructivist methods to help your students gain understanding and necessary skills.


No comments: